Ward 4 member Mary Ann Brogan charts the background of braille, the system of raised dots representing letters that “transformed the lives of blind and low-vision people” over a century ago. Her front-page article in the February issue of The Fenway News recalls inventor Francis Ierardi’s connection to the Perkins School for the Blind and his development of the first braille newspaper in 1918.
She writes, “As one point, the production of these papers occupied six buildings in Boston. In 1946, that National Braille Press (NBP) relocated to its current location on 88 St. Stephen Street in the Fenway… Today, NBP continues the mission of bringing literacy to the blind and low-vision persons around the world.”
Thanks for sharing this important piece of Boston history, Mary Ann!